When you are living with a constant reminder of a past surgery, accident, or trauma to your skin with a scar, it can take its toll on your self-esteem and self-image. At Elite Plastic Surgery, we know that improving the appearance of a scar can change a person's life, especially if the scar is visible for everyone to see. Our plastic surgeons, Drs. Matatov and Torabi can drastically improve the appearance of your scars and stretch marks with a scar revision surgery. Scar revision surgery can:
- Reduce the size and/or length of the scar to make it less noticeable
- Change the texture of the skin at the site of the scar
- Rejuvenate the skin and contour it to cover irregularities and tissue distortions
- Hide scars behind natural creases or folds, or turn it into a fine line
During a private consultation at our office in Phoenix, AZ, we can examine your scar and make suggestions on the different ways we could tackle the problem. With many years of experience in scar care, Drs. Torabi and Matatov will help you find solutions to better skin minus the scars. Individual results may vary, so call our office today to see if scar revision is the right choice for you.
Types of Scars
Since there are various scar revision procedures that address different types of scars, it is beneficial to recognize the correct type a patient has in order to treat it effectively.
- Atrophic scars take on a sunken look and are usually caused by surgery, acne, trauma or chickenpox.
- Keloid scars occur due to cell overproduction following a skin injury. They are raised, thick and have a red-purple color and extend beyond the original wound. They can be itchy or painful.
- Hypertrophic scars are raised and red in color but don’t expand beyond the wound area but can restrict movement.
- Scar contractures are usually the result of burns and leads to the skin shrinking, which can lead to a feeling of tightness and movement restriction.
Do I Qualify?
Consulting with a skilled plastic surgeon when your scars are apparent even after the wound heals, and you have exhausted all noninvasive measures (such as massage or gel therapy). Your plastic surgeon may suggest a scar revision surgery considering a number of factors, such as:
- Health of the patient (need to be in overall good health)
- Maturity of scars
- Alignment, distortion and pigmentation of scars
- Scar or stretch mark location and orientation
- Healing ability of a patient (patients should have a hassle-free recovery from the previous surgery)
Types of Treatment
Depending on the type of scar that a patient has, along with the size, location and its appearance, a plastic surgeon can employ several different procedures. For surface scars, we may prescribe the use of topical ointments, tapes or external compression to improve discoloration. With shave excision, a surgical shaver is used to remove the top part of the scar to leave a more even surface. Sunken or depressed scars can be injected with various substances to improve texture and overall appearance. Dermabrasion, light therapy, and chemical peels can also be deployed to improve the appearance of scars. There are various other procedures that can be performed to help minimize the appearance of scars. For scars that require a more invasive approach, plastic surgery may be required.
Plan Your Procedure
Schedule a Skin Exam Today
Unsightly or painful scars no longer have to be a bother. Patients who are burdened by an existing scar of such nature are invited to call Elite Plastic Surgery to schedule a skin exam. We will evaluate the scar and recommend a treatment approach so that you can show your skin without anxiety or worry. We look forward to meeting with you soon.